Posted on 20 March 2012.
To leave an indelible mark within the Dancehall/Reggae industry, you not only have to showcase outright skill and determination but also have some amount of sex appeal.
The combination of a delightful personality, sharp intellect and attractive figure allows females who ply their trade within the local music industry to build strong fan bases while acclimating deserved accolades. From artistes to media personalities and even dancers, the Dancehall/Reggae industry has produced several females who’ve embodied said sentiments. Ten in particular currently personify those qualities; acquiring mass popularity in the process.
10. Mystic Davis: Dancers are wholeheartedly unappreciated within the Dancehall/Reggae framework as they’re considered as the background in many music videos. However, Mystic Davis possibly defies that logic. With unbelievable flexibility showcased throughout her craft and an hourglass shape to match, Davis hails as arguably the most popular dancer in Jamaica and possibly the Caribbean.
With videos such as Vybz Kartel’s Go Go Wine, Sean Kingston and Nicki Minaj’s Letting Go and several others on her resume, Davis stands out in ways which many other dancers would become side elements. Plus, if you’ve ever watched her perform live in short shorts, you’d see why.
9. D’Angel: Despite a turbulent six months that included her divorce from Beenie Man, model turned Dancehall artiste, D’Angel still continues to prove that she’s one of the genre’s sexiest divas. Songs such as Blaze, Come Over amongst others have showcased that fusion of made-for-runway looks as well as lyrical dexterity, making her one of Dancehall’s most respected acts.
Though she did lose some popularity amongst fans since the divorce, she still hasn’t lost the qualities which made her attractive since her debut in 2005: Independence, beauty and intellect, all of which make her an interesting catch.
8. Tiana – Perhaps the fastest rising female artiste in quite some time, Tiana not only made herself relevant within the Dancehall ranks, she asserted a strong presence in the industry. She made no stronger announcement as a potential superstar than with the release of Pum Pum Phat, a remake of Popcaan’s chart-topping smash, Ravin’. The risqué single showcased a hardcore, sexually appeasing side of the self-proclaimed “Princess of Dancehall” that fans never saw previously, making this curvaceous diva a household name.
Additionally, an unheard of 11 videos including Bruk Out and Whine and Gyal Mi Luv Yuh (featuring Konshens) as well her intellect; shown while making a defiant stance against what she described a ‘sexist’ music industry labeled her as a very reputable force. A deejay of the year candidate and upcoming superstar, her resume seemingly could include several more accolades going forward.
7. Pepita Little: Though currently out of a job after her recent release from the Television Jamaica (TVJ) show, Intense, it’s inconceivable to think that Pepita Little aka Chica Pepita won’t find her way back onto everyone’s television screen sooner rather than later.
For three years, her bubbly personality, easy-going approach to her hosting duties and a bust line that’s hard to ignore made her a popular figure within the industry. Additionally, she served as a backstage host on Digicel Rising Stars and copped a Youth View Awards nomination for Media Personality of the Year.
Despite her recent setback, Pepita has returned to spotlight in strong fashion with the release of her highly acclaimed debut single, Luv Luv Me. Given her versatility there’s no doubt that this is only the beginning of Pepita’s journey.
6. Timberlee: Sexy in two different personalities, posh and gangstress, Timberlee attracts several eyes and ears with her sultry vocals and class-personified physical attributes. Both personalities were on full display during her single on the female-dominated Bedroom Riddim with the single, Inna Mi Bedroom.
A shape to behold with confidence displayed in several singles such as Bubble Like Soup and Heels, Timberlee remains a sex symbol with her crafty word play and accompanying physical attributes.
5. Stacious: Similar to Timberlee, Stacious’ thought-provoking physique makes her easily identifiable figure within the local music industry. Often known for her pulsating singles and racy dressing in videos, Stacious earned comparisons to the “Queen of Dancehall,” Lady Saw, who rose to prominence for similar antics.
Additionally, Stacious’ lyrics back up said comparison as past singles such as Goodaz Clap and Make It Snappy as well as more recent singles like Come Into My Room (alongside Mavado) and Got It Like That.
4. Tifa: Perhaps the best at her musical craft amongst females, Tifa continues to dazzle fans, male and female, with her strong physical attributes while continuing to unleash smash hits. As her videos for Move Yuh Body and Get Flat proved last year, Tifa has a unique, classy fashion sense. Combine that with her no-holds barred lyrical display, and this prominent diva has stamped her authority on the Jamaican music framework.
3. Ce’Cile: It’s hard to believe that Ce’Cile has been in the mainstream spotlight for over ten years now as she seemingly hasn’t aged. An obviously attractive and sensual persona made the singjay one of Jamaica’s musical stalwarts.
Never afraid to show off her smooth skin, Ce’Cile embraced the sex symbol status with videos like Hot Like We, Hot Like That and several others. Permanent eye candy in her own right, she continues to stay relevant within an ever changing Jamaican music framework; recently releasing the highly acclaimed album, Jamaicanization.
2. Tami Chynn: Dancehall singjay, Wayne Marshall must feel like the luckiest man on Earth as he has the sensual songstress, Tami Chynn to proudly boast as his wife. Chynn never ceases to amaze onlookers with her natural beauty and heartwarming vocals.
Classic songs such as Over and Over, Hyperventilating and Certified Diva, featuring the aforementioned Tifa, had fans locked into her presence. An effervescent sense of style, class and wit made Chynn a very lovable figure. A musician, host or a part-time charity worker, Chynn’s place as an internationally-regarded superstar will forever remain. Plus, as she proved with Neva Know, she has some spice to her also.
1. Yanique Barrett
: Jamaican music fans have only known her for a short time, but certainly there’s a long list of men who’ve surely kept this media personality on their watch.Debuting as host of Magnum Kings and Queens of Dancehall
in March 2011, Yanique Barrett
quickly won over fans of the highly regarded talent show with her curvaceous figure, outgoing personality and several sexy dance moves. Now earning strong acclaim for her strong work and intellect, Barrett continues to spread her wings as a host/presenter as she also co-hosts E-Blaze
on FAME FM
as well as RETV 5 to 7 Live
.The only sad part about this young starlet, for her male fans anyway, is that she’s already married. If you listen closely, the collective sighs from men can be heard worldwide.