Tag Archive | "Vybz Kartel 2014"

Vybz Kartel 2014

Vybz Kartel conspiracy trial postponed until October 27

Vybz Kartel 2014As he currently serves a life sentence on a murder conviction, embattled Dancehall superstar, Adidja ‘Vybz Kartel’ Palmer is expected back in court on October 27 after his conspiracy trial, which was expected to get underway this week Monday at the Corporate Area Resident Magistrates Court in Kingston was postponed twice.

The case was initially set to begin on Monday, but was postponed following a flurry of issues, according to reports, including unsettled legal representation for co-accused, Andre ‘Pim Pim’ Henry and the absence of a defence attorney and witnesses. When the case was again mentioned on Thursday, more witness issues were uncovered while Henry’s lawyer, Peter Champagnie withdrew from representing the accused due to unfulfilled financial obligations, thus forcing the judge to set the new date.

The judge was reportedly annoyed by this development, telling the prosecution, You ensure that you do what you have to do cause no matter what, the only thing that can prevent the case from starting is if the Lord says so.”

Palmer is jointly charged with Henry and fellow entertainer/protégé, Vanessa ‘Gaza Slim’ Saddler for perverting the course of justice after Saddler allegedly filed a false police report suggesting she was robbed and gun-butted by Clive ‘Lizard’ Williams, the man who Palmer was convicted of killing this past March.

The report was filed five days after Kartel was charged with Williams’ murder in October 2011. He, Saddler and Henry were charged with perverting the course of justice later that year as they are alleged to have attempted to interfere with the police’s investigation into Williams’ murder.

Vybz Kartel is not eligible for parole for another 35 years. He is currently appealing his conviction.

Posted in LATEST NEWSComments (0)

Vybz Kartel Owen Ellington

Vybz Kartel to sue former Jamaican police commissioner, Owen Ellington over recent comments

Vybz Kartel Owen EllingtonImprisoned Dancehall superstar, Vybz Kartel has signaled his intent to sue recently retired Jamaican police commissioner,Owen Ellington over comments he made on a local television show in April, claiming the deejay was the head of a gang responsible for over 100 murders islandwide.

According to reports Monday, the polarizing entertainer, who was convicted of and given a life sentence for the 2011 murder of Clive ‘Lizard’ Williams in March, intends to a multi-million dollar civil lawsuit, through his legal team before the end of this week. His lead lawyer, Tom-Tavares Finson confirmed the lawsuit with ZIP FMMonday afternoon.

Ellington, who had been the head of the Jamaica Constabulary Force since 2009, told the Television Jamaica (TVJ) show, All Angles, “Vybz Kartel led a gang which was responsible for over 100 murders, and we have been telling the country this for a long, long time. Every time we moved against this gang, we were criticized, we were condemned and we were accused of being malicious against this individual. In fact, if you look at his defense, what was his defense? That there was a conspiracy on the part of the police.”

Though there has been no evidence presented to support Ellington’s comments, they caused a stir locally, with many wondering why the ex-commissioner would make them after Kartel’s conviction and subsequent sentencing just weeks earlier. Tavares-Finson himself called the comments out of line, saying they were an attempt to prejudice Kartel’s appeal.

Ellington shocked many when he announced his resignation from the police force last week, citing his, “need to separate himself from the leadership and management of the Force prior to the commencement of the upcoming Commission of Enquiry into the conduct of the Operations of the Security Forces in Western Kingston and other areas during the limited State of Emergency in 2010,” according to a press release by Jamaica’s ministry of security.

He had served in various parts of the police force for over 30 years.

Posted in LATEST NEWSComments (0)

Vybz Kartel court

Vybz Kartel speaks out against recent threats made following murder conviction

Vybz Kartel courtEmbattled Dancehall star, Vybz Kartel has called for fans and others top stop making threats against journalists and members of the public in the aftermath of his March murder conviction in the Clive ‘Lizard’ Williams trial.

Since the verdict and subsequent life sentence on April 3, several threats have been made against journalists due to their coverage of the trial, as well as telecommunications giant, Digicel following voice notes implicating Kartel in the lead up to when the murder allegedly took place. Nationwide News reporter, Abka Fitz-Henley received some of said threats after playing some of the voice notes obtained by the local radio station following the trial.

An editor at the Jamaica Observer faced similar treatment after it was alleged he was the author a story that broke Sunday citing an unnamed police source as saying Kartel had given them information on wanted men in his native Portmore in exchange for the possible dismissal of his murder charge, a claim the deejay’s lawyer later refuted.

In a statement released Tuesday morning, Kartel said persons making these threats should cease and desist, insisting they are not making his situation any easier.

“I appeal to any misguided individual or individuals who may think it appropriate to seek to threaten or intimidate anyone to stop it,” he said. “Such action is not helping me or my fellow appellants and is playing into the hands of the police and others who are seeking to discredit me and prejudice the fair hearing of my appeal.”

Speaking out for the second time since his conviction, Kartel also said he harbors no negativity towards those involved in his trial.

“During my sentencing hearing, my attorney, Tom Tavares-Finson, indicated to the court that I hold no ill-will to any of the persons involved in my trial, neither the police, prosecutors, executives from Digicel and certainly not any member of the media who covered my trial in a manner which exposed the weaknesses in the prosecution’s case for all the world to see,” he said.

“I reiterate the position, I hold no ill-will to anyone who was involved in my trial, and I put my faith in the judicial system and the appeal process on which we have now embarked. In the meantime I thank my family, friends and fans who continue to support and have faith in me.”

Posted in LATEST NEWSComments (0)

Vybz Kartel 2014

Police say Kartel gave them info on wanted men, guns to try and secure freedom

Vybz Kartel 2014Desperate times usually call for desperate measures and that tried and true saying apparently reigned supreme in the case of incarcerated entertainer, Vybz Kartel after a new report Sunday indicated he provided police information on wanted men in attempt to free himself from a recent murder conviction.

Highly placed police sources revealed to the Jamaica Observer that Kartel, whose real name is Adidja Palmer, recently ordered a meeting with Police Commissioner, Owen Ellington, who then assigned a member of the police high command to meet him personally. In that meeting, Kartel offered police information on wanted men in the deejay’s home base in Portmore, which led to the recovery of 17 illegal guns following further investigation.

The move, the source said, was done after Kartel realized the strength of the case and evidence against him after homicide investigators sealed up their probe into the death of Clive ‘Lizard’ Williams, the man who Kartel and three co-accused were convicted of killing last month and subsequently sentenced to life in prison without the eligibility of parole for 35 years.

Click Here To Read More

Posted in LATEST NEWSComments (0)

Vybz Kartel 2014

Family of Clive Williams reportedly receiving death threats after Kartel verdict

Vybz Kartel 2014The family of Clive ‘Lizard’ Williams, the man that Dancehall superstar Vybz Kartel and three other men are convicted of killing in 2011, are facing death threatsfollowing last week’s ruling, with a contract killing reportedly placed on their heads.

Reports are that the family had to be placed in protective custody a day after the guilty verdict was rendered to Kartel and the co-accused. This coming weeks after Williams’ sister, Stephanie Brackenridgeand his girlfriend, Onika Jackson testified during Kartel’s trial.

Subsequent reports on Monday say police have a man in custody for allegedly attempting to carry out a hit on the family and that law enforcement officials are still investigating.

Click Here To Read More

Posted in LATEST NEWSComments (0)

Page 1 of 11

Updated Dec 9th Radio – PRESS PLAY

Buy Now!!

Buy Now